In this era of the Internet, you can get scammed anywhere. Nonetheless, scammers will find a way to trap you no matter what you do. Regrettably, scammers have ripped off many People through WhatsApp. To be safe, you should know how to track a scammer on WhatsApp.
To track a scammer on WhatsApp, You can use any information you can get from that scammer. There are numerous ways to track a scammer:
- Firstly, using a geo-finder, you can use their phone number or IP address to follow them back.
- Alternatively, you can use their account number, if any, to get details about them.
- Moreover, you can reverse-search their profile pictures or links on the Internet to find them.
- Furthermore, you can also use the help of cybersecurity professionals to track them.
You can keep reading to learn how to track a scammer on WhatsApp. We have got you a complete guide on how to identify a scammer on WhatsApp and how can a scammer be tracked.
How do Scammers Operate on WhatsApp?
Firstly, scammers are usually very smart. Additionally, they have an excellent level of understanding of human behavior.
Furthermore, different scammers can have other ways to operate. However, they all work with a similar motive to get your personal information and scam you.
Additionally, scammers often create false identities to gain the trust of their victims. They may also use stolen photos from real people’s social media accounts. Furthermore, they frequently change their phone numbers to avoid being traced or caught by authorities.
There are different kinds of scams popular nowadays; these scammers frequently follow typical patterns of scams to trap people.
The Most Popular Scams are:
- Lottery scams: On WhatsApp, lottery scams are the most common. All you will get is a text message informing you that you have won the lotto from an unknown number. They will need your bank account number and personal details to deposit the winnings from the lottery. This is just a scam to empty your bank accounts.
- Impersonation scam: The second most common scam is the Impersonation scam. Scammers frequently imitate a trusted or well-known celebrity in this fraud and may pursue you for personal information or money.
- Gift card scam: Similar to a lottery scam, Scammers will tell you you’ve won a Gift card. They will lure you to share your details or information while claiming that gift card.
- Verification code scam: This is similar to an impersonating scam. Scammers will impersonate themselves as a WhatsApp support team and ask for verification codes from you. These cameras have multiple ways to get access to your WhatsApp using these verification codes.
If you ever encounter these scams, you must learn how to track a scammer on WhatsApp.
8 Methods on How to track a scammer on WhatsApp
If you want to know how to catch a scammer on WhatsApp, You have to gather any information that the scammer leaves. This information includes their phone number, account number, profile pictures, preview links, and IP addresses.
Depending on your information about them, there can be many ways to track a scammer. They are:
Through Phone Number
You can use the phone number Tracker is using to track them back. You can call them from a different number or a private line.
If they are not using a temporary number, you can get the owner’s details too. You can trace this number down to find the actual location of the scammer easily.
By Account Number
If you have any account number of the scammer, you can use it with the help of cybersecurity to get the details of the account owner.
Additionally, the account number can help you access the ID proofs of the scammer as well.
Use Preview Links
If the scammer has used shortened links, You can easily track down which website they’re created on.
These websites can help you give access to the name or IP address of the scammer. You can use the IP address to trace the scammer’s location.
Use Reverse Image Search
Firstly, you can perform a reverse image search on the Internet if you have any images related to the scammer. Additionally, the reverse image search can help get the picture’s whereabouts.
Finally, you can use this whereabouts to trace your scammer’s online presence or IP address.
Track IP Addresses
Additionally, with an IP address tracking tool, you can gather information about the scammer’s internet service provider and approximate geographical location. Moreover, you can use this information to report the scammer to the authorities and take necessary legal action.
You can also use the status trackers to check whenever they’re online next time. Moreover, This will help you get their IP address efficiently.
Utilize Reverse Phone Lookup Services
If your scammer uses a real phone number on WhatsApp, you can find them using reverse phone lookup services.
Additionally, you can obtain the identity and proof of the owner of that phone number from reverse phone lookup services. Consequently, this can help you track him down.
Use the GEO Finder app
The GEO Finder app can also provide information on the ISP (Internet Service Provider) associated with the IP address, in addition to detailing the location’s country, city, and even the latitude and longitude coordinates.
This functionality can significantly aid in pinpointing the exact whereabouts of the scammer. Furthermore, the app is equipped to track the movement of the scammer in real-time, facilitating continuous monitoring of their location. This real-time tracking capability enhances the precision of identifying and monitoring the scammer’s movements.
Seek Help From Cybersecurity Professionals
However, if you believe you have no information about the scammer, you can get cybersecurity experts’ assistance if you need to learn how to track someone using WhatsApp.
They are skilled hackers who can track you down and protect you from scams.
How to Report Scammers
If you ever identify a scammer, you should not let them go. You should do some important things with the scammer to safeguard yourself and your loved ones. They are:
Contact WhatsApp Support Team
If you are scammed or have identified a scammer, the most important thing is to contact the Whatsapp support team. To get the WhatsApp Support Team:
- Firstly, open your Whatsapp application.
- Then, open “settings” and go to “help”.
- Lastly, select “Contact us.”
- Here, you can write your query about the scammer.
- WhatsApp team usually replies in the chatbox.
Report The Contact On WhatsApp
Secondly, you need to report The scammer. To report:
- Firstly, open the chat of the scammer.
- Then, click on the three dots in the top right corner.
- Select “more.”
- Finally, click on “report.”
This will report the chat and let the Whatsapp contact team know about them.
If you have identified the scammer early, You can also spread awareness to safeguard people around you.
You can text people or post status updates about this scammer to spread awareness.
Take Legal Action
If you feel you have been scammed or the scammer has your details, you should immediately take legal action. Collect all the information or evidence you can and take it to your nearest cybersecurity bureau.
Don’t worry if you have deleted the chats out of fear. You can effortlessly restore your chats and utilize them as evidence as well. Moreover, this step can strengthen your case against the scammer.
See Also: 150+ Cool WhatsApp Status in 2023
Online Safety: Tips and Tricks
If you use WhatsApp frequently, you will encounter many scammers. We have some recommendations to help you avoid being scammed now that you know How to Track a Scammer on WhatsApp. They are:
- Avoid replying to unknown people: The first rule to avoid being scammed on WhatsApp is to avoid responding to strangers. A fraudster’s initial text is usually an enticing message from an unknown number.
- Never tell personal information: You should never share your personal information on WhatsApp. Sharing personal data with strangers online puts you in danger of being scammed.
- Beware of winning prizes, lottery, and gift card scams: Any unknown individual contacting you claiming to have won a gift card or lottery is a hoax. Only submit information to someone making such claims if you have willingly participated in the contest.
- Two-step authentification: Make sure you have a 2 step authentification on almost all your accounts. Never share your OTP’s and passwords with anyone online.
- Phishy links: Never click or open unknown links from strangers on WhatsApp. Scammers can easily steal all your personal information by making you click on a phishing link. Scammers use these links to access your WhatsApp.
How to track a scammer on WhatsApp?
There are many ways to track a scammer on WhatsApp. You can trace their phone number or IP address. You can also reverse search images or links they’ve sent.
How do I check a scammer's number?
There are many applications to check scammers' numbers, like Instant Checkmate, Cocofinder, and Truthfinder.
Is WhatsApp used for catfishing?
WhatsApp is the hub of catfishing. Many scammers feel it is more straightforward to catfish on WhatsApp than any other application.
Is there an app to identify scammers?
You can check the phone number to identify whether the person is a scammer. There are many applications to check a phone number.
How to catch a scammer online?
You should be aware and cautious about catching a scammer online. If you feel someone is asking for your personal information or sending fishy links, report them immediately.
Scammers are becoming smarter day by day. They come up with new ideas to scam people now and then. To stay safe, you have to keep learning. In particular, you can start by keeping yourself up-to-date with all the ongoing scams.
These cameras can lure you using fake WhatsApp chats and images to get your personal information out. Subsequently, they can use this personal information to access your WhatsApp without your phone number.
We hope that you know how to track a scammer on WhatsApp. It’s an easy task if you have the accurate knowledge and resources.