Also, the frequency of getting spam messages increases when we sometimes publicly reveal our email address on various sites or subscribe to some newsletter for an email subscription. So, to regain the free space of disc we need to delete them time to time.
See Also: - Enable Two-Step Verification For Gmail Account Security
So, Gmail comes to our rescue by automatically deleting spam messages to help us. Hence, let us see the process of how to automatically remove these troublesome spam messages:
Delete Spam Messages From Gmail Automatically
- Open Gmail and log on to your account by using your username and password.
- After your email inbox opens up, go to the top-right corner of your Gmail where you need to click on the 'Settings' option which looks like the 'gear' image.
- After settings option opens up, click on 'Filters' option on the page.
- Then go to the option 'create new filter'. You will find that a pop-up window will appear.
- Out of all the blank spaces on the pop-up window search for 'has the words' field and type "is: spam" in the blank space below this area.
- Then click on 'Create filter with this search.'
- After this, to confirm your action, you need to click OK on the warning message.
- On the next pop-up which appears as soon as you click 'OK' on your warning message, you will need to inform the server what you want to do with these spam messages.
- If you intend on restricting these spam messages from appearing on your Gmail and to be deleted too then click on both 'Skip the Inbox' and 'Delete it' option.
- If you intend on only deleting these messages then click on only 'Delete it' option.
- In case if you have existing spam messages in your Gmail account folder which you wish to delete then you can also click on the choice 'also apply a filter to X matching conversations.'
- Now comes the final step. To confirm your last action click on the 'Create Filter' option.
Thus here is the overall process. Once you have successfully created a filter, then all the messages or emails coming to your email which is flagged as spam will be deleted automatically.
However, this process does come with few drawbacks. This filter is not applicable to inbox messages that you mark as 'spam' manually. Also by this process each and every message marked as spam will be deleted. Moreover, sometimes Google marks some genuine and important emails as spam.
So, some of your important emails might get removed during this process. Hence, it is advised to use this method with precaution and adhere to manually deleting the spam messages if possible.