If you type "www.facebook.com" in the web address bar, then your web browser by the help of DNS translates it to its IP address. Here the IP address of www.facebook.com will be 22.214.171.124. One can also enter the IP address directly to open a site, but remembering so many IP addresses for so many various locations can be complicated and confusing. So to make our job easy, DNS does that for us. DNS is a vital part of the internet without which browsing won't be possible.
See Also: - Top 14 Resources to Check DNS Propagation of Your Website
But the scenario of free public DNS servers is a rather bright one. They have various advantages like
- They are optimized to take any amount of load, thus providing good speed at all times.
- Most of these servers use Anycast routing technology, so there will be no downtime for your internet.
- Some third-party DNS servers offer features like protection and filter which help in protecting your computer from phishing attacks.
- Some of them even assist in overcoming geography-based content restrictions like not being able to see an individual video in some country.
This free and global DNS server from tech giant Google is the most popular third-party DNS service which aims at providing secure and faster web browsing. It's DNS servers are distributed all over the world so, there is no question of performance being hampered. They follow the security mechanism of DNSSEC which is well known for its efficiency.
See Also: - How to Browse Web More Securely Using Le VPN
Also, it supports the latest technologies like IPv6 DNS. This DNS server uses Anycast routing for finding the closest server for data interaction. It is also well protected against DNS Cache Poisoning attacks as well as DoS attacks.
You can start using Google DNS server by changing your IP address to 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52. But if you want to move to IPv6 then change IP address to 2001:4860:4860::8888 and 2001:4860:4860::8844.
2. OpenDNSThis free public DNS server provides enhanced controls. Security is a vital concern of this DNA server, and hence it does automatic filtering and blocking against phishing attacks to identify the theft. They are available in two manners either Personal or Business.
By providing the feature like parents control it acts as a family shield thus protecting your family and your kids from accidentally running into inappropriate websites. The home-based version which offers parental controls, phishing protection and enhanced speed is free of cost. It also has VIP service for $19.95 a month.
184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11 are IP addresses for enabling OpenDNS.
Norton ConnectSafe is one of the most secure and fast DNS servers operated by computer security vendor Symantec. It also offers automatic filtering and blocking based on their database of sites. Norton ConnectSafe offers three different variants of protection.
- Protection against malware, phishing sites and scam sites. IP Address - 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
- Protection against malware, phishing sites and scam sites along with pornography. IP address - 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
- Protection against malware, phishing sites and scam sites, pornography and others. Sites related to mature content, gambling, hate, suicide, tobacco, drugs, alcohol, etc. fall under the others category. IP address - 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
4. DNS.WatchThe unique feature of this DNS server is that it believes in DNS neutrality thus letting users have fast & uncensored internet. One of the best thing I liked about it is that It won't keep any logs of what you do on the web. Along with this, it offers a censorship-free service by providing their DNS resolvers free of charge. Providing the same browsing speed for every person and every website is the aim of DNS.
See Also: - 5 Best Websites Similar to Wayback Machine [Alternatives]
They are Fast & Reliable as they promise 24x7x365 DNS Service monitoring. Also as soon as any problem occurs, it gets resolved immediately. It also sees to the problem that no ISP DNS Hijacking occurs while browsing. It works on IPv4 Properties. 18.104.22.168, 22.214.171.124, 2001:1608:10:25::1c04:b12f and 2001:1608:10:25::9249:d69b.
5. Level 3 DNSOperating on level 3 communications, this Colorado-based international telecommunications company server has the advantages of being most reliable and secure. It lets your internet servers grow faster and operate more efficiently while simultaneously keeping data safe and secure.
To mention one of the latest advancement on 19th September 2016, Level 3 launched a new service that provides simplified threat intelligence management with customized & prioritized alerts. DNS Server IP of Level 3 is 126.96.36.199, 188.8.131.52, 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
6. Open NIC DNSOpen NIC DNS has servers all over the world run by their members. Working under the concept of DNS neutrality, it also rescues from the censorship that is authorized by the government. Hence blocked websites can also be accessed using this DNS service. It even acts as a barrier for ISP DNS hijacking.
See Also: - How to Access Any Restricted Website with Shimo VPN
This nonprofit, the democratic body also allows its each user to vote when a new TLD has to be decided, or some policy change has to be taken. It is free to use, and volunteers run the servers, so there’s no financial pressure to corrupt the OpenNIC system. The IP addresses are 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
This Domain Name Server brings together various features such that enhanced speed, reliability & safety in the long run. This robust network with its huge number of servers offers high speed of connection, which is done by optimizing the server depending upon your location.
This server is currently spread over 15 locations and five continents around the world. Hence you get the most reliable, fully redundant DNS service. Commodo DNS makes it sure that its users are kept aloof from online malware sites thus providing high security. The IP addresses of this server are 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
This impressive free public DNS provides its service all around the world. Started by Neustar in December 2007, it has come away long ahead in progress. It increases the availability of your website routing information. It also will help you to increase your browsing speed and at the same time ensures ultimate security. IServers of DNS Advantage are located in North America, Europe, Africa, Asia and in Sydney Australia. The IP address of this DNS is 18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124.
Along with being committed to making your Internet experience secure, it can also assure reliability and accuracy. To maintain the browsing transparency, this page shows the current status of our service. The big hit of this server is that they do not collect data on users of the service.
See Also: - Best Parental Device Monitoring App: Pumpic Review
The company is also operating two of the Internet’s root servers. Being running for over nine years; this DNS has maintained 100 percent operational accuracy and stability. VeriSign also provides support for both IPv6 and DNSSEC. The IP addresses for this server are 126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52.
10. SafeDNSThis free and public DNS service specifically aims at providing secure Web protection. Their proactive cloud protection for users blocks malware and bonnets even before such information may be downloaded to your computer. It even blocks all unwanted or inappropriate websites, such as pornography, violence, hate or racism, weapons, alcohol and drugs, gambling, etc.
To start using this server you don't need to buy any hardware or install additional software on your client or server computers. All you have to do is just register. DNS servers of SafeDNS are distributed across the USA and Europe, to ensure reliable & fast access from any point worldwide. Because of BGP Anycast protocol, you get redundant and faster access to the internet. The IP addresses to this DNS are 184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11.
That's the entire list. To enjoy faster, reliable and safe browsing just go for any of these Domain Name Servers.